Friday, February 15, 2008

February 16, 1987

On the eve of my sister Jenny's 21st birthday, I'd like to share some pictures and stories of the past 21 years.
Jenny was born on Monday, February 16, 1987. At the time of her birth, she was two weeks late and my mom was given a choice of induction dates. Given Friday the 13th and Monday the 16th, my mom went with the 16th. It was Presidents Day and I was out of school. Truth be told, I had no idea what I was in store for on that day or the years to come. In fact, I don't think anyone was prepared for the effect Jenny would have on our family :)
Born 7 1/2 years apart, I was very protective of my only sister. She was riding a bike without training wheels at four years old and could read short stories by the time she was in kindergarten. She was such a good learner and I, of course, enjoyed teaching her. Physically, we are different. She takes after my mom and her physical traits and I take after my dad. Personality wise, we are not just different, we are polar opposites :) She is very extroverted and sociable and a people person. I'm quiet, an internal thinker, and worried about hurting everyone else's feelings! Jenny could sell you the shirt off her back and have you convinced that it was the best purchase you've ever made!

Twenty one years later and Jenny is all grown up! She's a junior nursing major trying to balance school and clinicals and holding down a part time job. She was recently hired as a student nurse tech at Barnes Jewish Hospital in the Neuro ICU (did I get all that right Jenny?!). Needless to say, it's amazing to think that the same sister that I helped teach how to ride a bike is now on her way to helping save lives!

So Jenny, on the eve of your 21st birthday, I want you to know how proud I am at how far you've come. Have fun tomorrow! Be smart, be safe, and call me if you need me :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww thank you :) I showed all of my friends! :)

Amanda, Mandy, Manda, Tomato said...

TAG! You're it!! :D

Jennifer said...

Hey Christie - where have you been???

Christie & Roger said...

I guess blogging once a month isn't cutting it!!! I just got back from 10 days on the West coast. I have some pictures to share and I'll be back up and blogging in a few days!