Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Another investment property

So one day before Lillie turned 12 weeks old, we closed on a foreclosure property in the Fenton suburb of St. Louis. This will be a long term flip for us. We'll do as much work as we can before we move our things into it and then we will continue tackling renovations as we live there. It's a great family home and we got a deal on it. We paid approximately 59% of what the house originally sold for three years ago!

We started work on November 1st. This truly is a cosmetic flip. There are no walls to be moved, no plumbing, electrical, or hvac to be updated, and nothing structural to repair. We've spent the past 10 days or so painting, cleaning, replacing light fixtures, and changing out faucets and bathroom hardware. Oh, and the toilet in the half bath downstairs could not be salvaged! Let's just say that the previous owners went to town on it when they found out they were being foreclosed on!


Standing in the family room looking into the breakfast room and kitchen.

The same view, only reversed. Standing in the kitchen looking into the breakfast room and family room.
A little butlers pantry or serving area in the hall between the kitchen and dining room. I can see turning this into the downstairs diaper changing area!

Close up of the cabinets, backsplash, and countertops. One of our to-do renovations is to switch out the countertops with natural stone.


Slot for the fridge and nook above.


As you enter the house from the garage, this area is on the right. I can see unloading all the groceries on here as I bring them in from the car. As it stands right now, since our garage is detached where we currently live, bringing in the groceries is a much more difficult task than it will be in the new house!

Small living room or office off the entryway
Dining room opposite the living room. There is a nice coffered ceiling in there.

Finally, the "bonus room" upstairs between all the bedrooms. Since we're coming from a house with only one living area, I have no idea what we'll put in here!
Oh, and the reason it sat on the market for as long as it did....No deck and one heck of a drop off! Thankfully, we'll be putting a deck on in the spring and the lot next door is for sale so while we won't have much of a back yard, we'll make do with a side yard.


So that's what we've been up to! My parents and sister have been a huge help! Whether it's my mom taking Lillie for the day or my sister coming over to paint after class or my dad helping us install the new ceiling fan, we couldn't have done this without their help! Everything truly does change once you have a child :)

21 comments:

Cecilia said...

It sounds like you found one heck of a deal! It looks like there is a ton of space. I can't wait to see the progress.

Anonymous said...

Wow Christie, it's a gorgeous house. I can't wait to see what you guys do with it! So you are moving out of the city? What a big change!

Lisa said...

Wow- I'm totally envious of your big new house :) You'll be near my neck of the woods now- playdates, anyone???

Krissy said...

You are amazing! This house looks beautiful and I'm sure you'll make it even more beautiful!! So you're putting your current house on the market?

Christie & Roger said...

Kristal - yes, moving out of the city will be a big (and sad) change for us. Right now, I feel like we're in the middle of everything. If only our house was a little bigger or had a more open floor plan.

Anonymous said...

Woah!

Love it!
How did you guys find this gem? Beautiful house! Congrats!!!

*K said...

gorgeous! I can't wait to see you add your touches.

Teresa said...

FENTON!!!! OMG!!! I am so excited! You are practically my neighbor now!!

I am sure the transition out of the city will be tough, but I am so excited for you and your family! We need to get together soon!!!

Christie & Roger said...

Teresa - every time I take 30 west and get off at 141, I see the sign for Fenton to the left and Valley Park to the right and I think of you!

Christie & Roger said...

Yara - having a real estate agent for a mom really pays off!
Krissy - yep, our city home goes on the market in the February/March time frame after we finish a few projects on it.

Maria said...

Congratulations Christie!! What a great deal. I'm looking forward to seeing your renovations.

Boyd Team said...

So that's where you have been! Congrats Christie! The house is gorgeous!

You know I LOVE the area your city house is in (I want to own a home there) but I think you will love Fenton! I bet your city house will have no problem selling!

I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Michelle said...

Congrats! The house is beautiful!

Mary said...

I'm sad that you're moving out of the city:( I can definitely understand why though, especially having Lillie. Even I've been contemplating whether I want to stay in the city when we buy our next place to live. The house is already really cool and I too am eager to see what you guys do!

Jen said...

It looks amazing! Have fun with all of the space!!

The Girly Girls said...

What a beautiful new house. We moved from Chicago when Haley was about 18 months old. City life is great until you start thinking about school for your little one! Good luck with the renovations.

N. said...

Christie, what part of the city is your current house in?

Christie & Roger said...

Nikki - we're in Benton Park now - between Venice Cafe and McLozzi deli if you're familiar with the area. Need a house with a big yard? :)

Cassie said...

Wow, I love the inside. While I love our house, I can't wait to update to a newer build (ours was built in 64). It is such a beautiful house! Can't wait to see all the little things you do to make it your own.

Krissy said...

No O'Charlie's here -- had to travel to Marion for a big time restaurant like that!

Pamela said...

it's a fabulous house!
-Pamela